Does it seem like most of the Christmas decorating tips you come across assume that you live in a mansion with bare tables begging for centerpieces and have the skills of a master interior designer and floor space just waiting for a 8-foot Christmas tree? Well, have no fear. Simple decorating tips for apartment dwellers are here. Check out these holiday ideas for people living in small spaces.
1. Pick a narrow Christmas tree. Look for a tree that can fit in a narrow space between existing furniture or on a table top. Then, embellish it with a fun theme. Whether you choose chili peppers, a color theme, or handmade ornaments, make the small tree a real focal point of the room. If you’re not a fan of evergreen trees, choose an uncommon table top tree that flaunts tea light candles or ornate beading instead of flowing branches.
2. Hang decorations from the ceiling. When you don’t have a large home, use open space to show off your love of the holidays. Look up. You likely have extra space near the ceiling or above windows just waiting for Christmas decorating. Attach plant-hanging hooks and strings holiday lights, hang a basket of poinsettia flowers, and dangle snowflake ornaments. Clear off above-window shelving to display delicate decor such as holiday plates, ceramic villages, and Christmas statues.
3. Decorate the windows. These canvases of glass are a great place to let the children be creative. Try stick-on window clings or let the little ones draw with dry erase markers. After Christmas, simply wipe away the artwork. Or, hang double-sided paper cut-out decorations on the glass so everyone who passes by can enjoy the pictures.
4. Replace decorative accessories. Instead of trying to stuff more into your apartment, try Christmas decorating tips that simply substitute everyday items with a Christmas-themed equivalent. For example, replace the bathroom rug with a novelty rug printed with reindeer or Santa Claus. Swap couch pillows for red and green holiday pillows. Replace hand towels in your kitchen with decorative Christmas towels.
5. Go outside to decorate. If you have a patio or deck, embellish it for the season. Hang holiday lights or place a small inflatable decoration in the space. And, don’t forget to hang a Christmas wreath. If allowed, make sure to place a seasonal welcome mat outside your apartment door and add fun magnets to the mailbox.