Between her job as a denim guru as head designer for Seven Jeans, red carpet visionary as designer to the stars like Gloria Trevi, Paulina Rubio and Anahi, and sleek creative as designer for Isaac Mizrahi and Ellie Tahari, you might call Johana Hernandez a fashions triple threat.
“My style is very modern, elegant, edgy and wearable,” says the 26-year-old designer who also boasts her own fashion line called Glaudi, under which she has designed for some favorite Latina celebrities.
And if all that success wasnt enough, NBC recognized her talent, and cast her in the new season of the reality competition Fashion Star. Who better to tell us how to look sleek, sophisticated and modern in work wear? Be your own office fashion star with these essential tips .
- Blouse : A lot of women get stuck in a rut, she says, and stick to things that are overly conservative and boring like T-shirts, slacks and blazers. Freshen up that look by skipping the button-down blouse and choosing a modern blouse with interesting details like bloussant sleeves or a flowy hem.
- Pants : Try fitted, cropped pants — the hem should fall a little above the ankle. These pair great with stilettos.
- Shoes : Be sure to have a nice pair of versatile shoes like a classic black pump.
- Accessories : Add more detail to a simple blouse with in-trend accessories lie a chunky collar necklace. For an over the top blouse, use a small pendant necklace, she says.
- Bag : “I like classic pieces,” says Johana, “and you can’t go wrong with a black bag.” But choose wisely; dont go for an overwhelmingly large bag with a cross-body strap. You dont want the bag to take attention from the outfit. If you are in a creative field, you can consider a colorful bag, but for more conservative environments you cant go wrong with a basic.
Tip : Dont be afraid to mix classic pieces with fashion pieces.
PHOTOSGLAUDI CollectionDesigner: Johana HernandezModel: Melissa Marty, Nuestra Belleza Latina 08Photographer: Louiza VickMake-Up Artist: Maria Alejandra BarriosHair Stylist: Victor Mendoza