Ricardo La Volpe is history at Chivas de Guadalajara and Jorge Vergara has opened up the casting call to choose the new tenant at Omnilife Stadium. In a press conference, the team owner hinted the qualities the newly appointed coach will need to have, and heres what we read between the lines:
1. Leadership: Jorge Vergara has had 17 coaches grace the top job at the club in the last 20 years, and he is ready to make a decision that is long-lasting, and that makes the squad grow in the next few years.
Leadership will be a top quality for the new coach, and only a few managers with experience in Mexico actually fit the bill on this one. Miguel Herrera, the now national team manager, could be the perfect man for this job, and depending on how Mexico does in the World Cup, Herrera may actually be more than willing to having the conversation with Vergara.
2. Discipline: The last two years have not been the best in terms of discipline at Chivas. If La Volpes accusations end up being true, the lack of discipline at all levels within the club could be massive, but regardless of that, Vergara wants to bring back a bit of it into the locker room and so the signing of a strong figure as a coach is crucial.
In that sense, former Pumas manager Mario Carrillo, could be the best choice. Carrillo is currently not working with any club, and he is known for his strong hand with players, turning teams into real physical machines.
3. Honesty: After La Volpes firing, honesty will need to be a top-notch quality of the next manager at Chivas. Vergara wants to turn the page on the former national team manager time at Rebaño Sagrado, and finding a person that is trustworthy enough will be at the top of the list of requirements for Vergara.
Ruben Omar Romano has recently said he would be willing to leave Puebla if the board of directors is not happy with his work, and it is that kind of open approach to the role that could actually land the Argentine in the Chivas spot next season.
4. Experience: Vergara has tried with many young coaches in the past. Inexperienced managers that either had recently started actively leading teams, or had no experience in the Mexican league.
Javier Aguirres time at Espanyol could be about to come to an end, and who better than the former Pachuca and National team manager to grab the reins in the next era at Chivas. Aguirre encompasses many of the requirements Vergara is looking for in his new coach, and he could be the perfect man for the job if only he is willing to move back to Mexico.
5. Winning mentality: Perhaps the more important of qualities for the next Chivas manager. Jorge Vergara is done with trying to find a coach he can develop and mold into a true champion; after two and a half years in the bottom end of the table, Chivas needs victories and only a manager used to making his teams win can turn things around in the short-term.
Former Monterrey and el Tri manager, Victor Manuel Vucetich is out of a job and has probably the most titles of anyone in this list. His time at Northern club was the most prosperous in terms of victories for Vucetich, with three CONCACAF Champions Leagues and two League titles to his credit.
Jorge Vergara has marked his name in red in his list.