If Univision beating out the major networks in the July sweeps wasn’t enough to convince you that Spanish-language media is on the rise in the U.S., this might.
Hulu, the joint online video streaming venture of Disney, 21st Century Fox and NBCUniversal, and competitor with other streaming sites like Amazon Prime and Netflix, is increasing its Spanish-language content.
SEE ALSO: 4 Latinas invade US television this year
The streaming site is launching seven series from Spanish-language broadcaster MundoFox — and is also the Spanish network’s first on-demand partner for premium content.
The Spanish-language network is a joint venture between 21st Century Foxs Fox International Channels (FOX owns a stake in Hulu) and Colombian broadcaster RCN Television.
According to Variety, the titles that are available on Hulu and Hulu Plus include:
- El Mariachi: Based on the Robert Rodriguez film of the same name, El Mariachi follows Martin, a young mariachi musician who is mistaken as a hired assassin and is inadvertently thrown into a war with drug cartels.
- Cumbia Ninja: In a slum called La Colina, young idealist Hache (Ricardo Abarca) and his friends confront the drug dealers who control the neighborhood.
- Kdabra: Supernatural series about a 17-year-old who has escaped from a dark community and triggers a series of unexpected events (seasons 1-3 on Hulu and Hulu Plus).
- Tiempo Final: A different group of characters each week faces a deadend or an inevitable fate that will change their lives forever (seasons 1-2 on Hulu and Hulu Plus).
- Mentes en Shock: The story of León Robles, a Spanish psychiatrist in a new town and a new job, searching for his twin sister.
- Historias de Corrido: Collection of dramatic series based on the classic Mexican musical known as Corrido.
- Dos Lunas: The story of a psychologist, Soledad (Barbara Mori), trying to cope with her split-personality disorder sparked by a tormented past. By night, she becomes Luna, a mysterious and sensual DJ in Mexico Citys nightlife.
NBC-owned Telemundo, whose parent company owns a stake in Hulu, does not currently have content available.