So you think youve heard everything there is to hear about how to save electricity at your home. We asked some of our TXU Energy experts for some lesser-known opportunities to reduce wasted electricity use and unnecessary spending. Heres what we got:
- Angling horizontal blinds so sunlight streams up can reduce the heat coming in and provide free natural light. When closed and lowered, highly reflective blinds can reduce heat gain by around 45 percent.
- It takes longer to cool a humid home. The ideal humidity level is less than 60 percent in the summer.
- Water heaters are factory set at 140 degrees. Lowering that to 120 degrees provides comfortably hot water and less energy consumption.
- Most Americans with programmable thermostats dont program them. New Energy Star® ratings for programmable thermostats may consider ease of use and online access, like the access to the Brighten® iThermostat.
- You can raise your thermostat setting by up to 4 degrees and not feel a difference if you also run a ceiling fan. Fans only make you feel cooler, though, so turn them off when youre not in the room.
- Canned or recessed lights can be a big source of air leaks. Selecting IC models or installing approved covers over non-IC models can stop that.
- Lowering your thermostat setting does not cool your home more quickly. Many factors affect how quickly an indoor space cools. Thermostat set points are not among them.
- Call your electricity provider as soon as you get a bill you dont think you can fully pay by the due date. Retailers like TXU Energy have extensive ways of helping, including our award-winning TXU Energy AidSM program.
Being aware of when and how electricity is being used and how to cut back without making big sacrifices makes our customers better consumers who spend less, said Michael Grasso, chief marketing officer for TXU Energy. We provide a range of solutions and energy-savings tips because we know that helping customers spend less helps us maintain long and positive relationships with them.
About TXU Energy
TXU Energy is a market-leading competitive retail electricity provider, powering the lives of more Texans than any other retailer. TXU Energy offers a variety of innovative products and solutions, allowing both its residential and business customers to choose options that best meet their needs, including exceptional customer service, competitively priced electricity service plans, innovative energy efficiency options, renewable energy programs and other electricity-related products and services. Visit txu.com for more information about TXU Energy. REP #10004