If you needed an excuse to indulge yourself with nachos, then Thursday is the perfect day to do so, because it marks National Nachos Day.
With only a few ingredients these uber-nachos are a breeze to make and truly addictive.
And you can always choose the quickest detour: layering your favorite chips with cheese and a touch of heat to ensure that every chip will deliver molten deliciousness.
Easy uber-nachos recipe
2 bags tortilla chips (you can use different colors and flavors)
- 4 vine ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground sirloin or pork or chicken (for vegetarian nachos use firm tofu instead)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dark chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper sauce or powder (more if you want it very hot)
- 1-15 ounces can black beans, drained*
*Quick easy topping: Use refried beans or chili beans.
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter or ghee (or Earth Balance vegan butter for a vegan sauce)
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour (or almond flour for a gluten free option)
- 2 cups milk (may use almond or Brazil nuts milk)
- 3/4 pound pepper jack cheese, shredded, about 2 1/2 cups
- Sour cream
- Chopped scallions
- Chopped white onions
- Diced pimento
- Sliced avocado, dressed with lemon juice
- Hot pepper sauces
- Fresh limes
How to prepare the nachos
- Arrange a mixture of 2 varieties (or more) of corn chips on a very large platter. Set aside.
- Combine the salsa ingredients in a bowl and set aside for flavors to settle.
- Heat a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add oil. Once hot, add garlic, onion and peppers to the pan and sauté 2 minutes.
- Then add meat and season with salt, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper.
- Cook 5 minutes, then stir in beans and reduce heat to low.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
Meanwhile, in a medium pot over medium heat, melt butter and add flour to it. Stirring constantly, cook flour and butter 2 minutes, then whisk in milk. When milk comes to a bubble, stir in cheese with a spoon.
Remove cheese sauce from the heat. Pour cheese sauce evenly over the layer of chips and top evenly with beef and beans and the salsa.
Serve immediately as is or with your choice of toppings and VOILA! your National Nachos Day is complete.